Benefits of Membership
In striving to achieve the objectives of its Articles of Association, the Institute provides the following benefits to its members:
- Recognised membership of the chemistry community
- The MICI and LICI designations of the Institute are recognised in a ‘special form’ by the State (S.I. No 1. 1991) and indicate a high level of academic achievement and competence
- Membership offers a pathway to the designation of European Chemist
- Members can participate in activities according to their own special interests: e.g. meetings, conferences, special events or sub-committees. There are sub-committees working on Education, Qualifications, Membership, Recruitment, Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Public Affairs, Publications, Archives and the Annual Congress. Many of these have made important submissions on behalf of the Members to the Government and EU Authorities
- Meetings organised by the Institute offer an opportunity to meet other chemists and share experiences
- Membership of an organisation dedicated to the advancement of the profession of chemistry which the Institute promotes at all levels, from school competitions to local meetings and EU meetings
- Each member receives copies of Irish Chemical News – A Journal of the Institute of Chemistry of Ireland annually; occasional Newsletters including the annual VOICE Newsletter; the Articles of Association and Rules and Bye-Laws, a signed Membership Certificate, and the right to use designatory letters denoting their grade of membership after their name, and to attend the AGM and all Social Meetings of the Institute
Categories and Conditions for Different Grades of Membership
Full details are available as a PDF document. A summary of the 2020 rates is shown below:
|Membership Category||Annual Subscription||Transfer Fee||Direct Entry Fee|
|GradICI – year 5, …||€70.00||–||–|
|GradICI – year 1,2,3,4||€50.00||–||€25.00|
|GradICI – year 1,2,3,4 Postgrad research student *||€25.00||–||–|
|Associate Member – year 4, …||€40.00||–||–|
|Associate Member – year 1,2,3||€20.00||–||–|
- FICI, MICI, LICI and GradICI membership categories receive a €5.00 reduction for payment by direct debit.
- For New Members the total amount required is the Direct Entry Fee plus the Annual Subscription. For Members transferring between grades the amount required is the Transfer Fee plus the Subscription Difference. The Subscription Difference is the difference between the Annual Subscriptions for the new and old grades of Membership.
- The Annual Subscription paid by New Members elected after the 31st August 2020 will suffice also for 2021, but the Direct Entry Fee is charged in full. Members transferring to a different grade after the 31st August 2020 are not charged the Subscription Difference but the Transfer Fee is charged in full.
- All Members (home and overseas) are charged full rates with the following exceptions:
- Members aged 65 years or over (as at 1st January 2020), and Members not in gainful employment or on non-paying career breaks, are eligible for a fifty percent reduction in the Annual Subscription.
- Members aged 75 years or over (as at 1st January 2020), or who have been associated with the Institute for 40 years or more, are eligible for membership without charge.
Company Member. Annual Subscription depends on the number of employees in the company:
- Up to 50 employees: €350.00;
- 51 – 100 employees: €600.00;
- Over 100 employees: €800-00.
* N.B. This rate applies only to registered full-time Post-graduate Research Students.