Benefits of Membership
In striving to achieve the objectives of its Articles of Association, the Institute provides the following benefits to its members:
- Recognised membership of the chemistry community
- The MICI and LICI designations of the Institute are recognised in a ‘special form’ by the State (S.I. No 1. 1991) and indicate a high level of academic achievement and competence
- Membership offers a pathway to the designation of European Chemist
- Members can participate in activities according to their own special interests: e.g. meetings, conferences, special events or sub-committees. There are sub-committees working on Education, Qualifications, Membership, Recruitment, Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Public Affairs, Publications, Archives and the Annual Congress. Many of these have made important submissions on behalf of the Members to the Government and EU Authorities
- Meetings organised by the Institute offer an opportunity to meet other chemists and share experiences
- Membership of an organisation dedicated to the advancement of the profession of chemistry which the Institute promotes at all levels, from school competitions to local meetings and EU meetings
- Young members can join the Institute’s Young Chemists’ Network (YCN); a network that promotes networking, collaboration and career opportunities for early stage researchers.
- Each member receives copies of Irish Chemical News – A Journal of the Institute of Chemistry of Ireland published quarterly; occasional Newsletters including the annual VOICE Newsletter; the Articles of Association and Rules and Bye-Laws, a signed Membership Certificate, and the right to use designatory letters denoting their grade of membership after their name, and to attend the AGM and all Social Meetings of the Institute
Categories and Conditions for Different Grades of Membership
A first or second class honours Degree or a higher Degree recognised by the Institute having Chemistry or a branch of Chemistry as a major subject, or an equivalent qualification recognised by the Institute, and at least ten years practice in a professional capacity in any branch of Chemistry approved by the Institute.
Ordinary Member (MICI)
A first or second class honours Degree or a higher Degree recognised by the Institute having Chemistry or a branch of Chemistry as a major subject, or an equivalent qualification recognised by the Institute, and at least three years practice in a professional capacity in any branch of Chemistry approved by the Institute
A third class honours, pass or general Degree recognised by the Institute with Chemistry or a branch of Chemistry to Degree standard, or an equivalent qualification recognised by the Institute, and at least two years practice at a level satisfactory to the Institute in any branch of Chemistry approved by the Institute.
Graduate Member (GradICI)
A primary Degree in Chemistry, or a branch of Chemistry, recognized by the Institute, or an equivalent qualification in the Chemical Sciences, recognized by the Institute.
Students preparing themselves by suitable study to qualify for Ordinary Membership, Licenciateship or Technician Membership of the Institute, or Persons who have an interest in Chemistry and wish to become associated with the Institute.
Companies who have a bona fide connection with Chemistry, and are involved in the Chemical or allied industries, or are otherwise associated with the profession of Chemistry.
Please refer to Quality and Qualifications Ireland (www.qqi.ie) which provides guidance on academic qualifications in Ireland and Naric Ireland (www.naric.ie) which provides information on academic recognition of foreign qualifications in Ireland
Full details are available here: ICI Subscription Rates 2023
A summary of the subscription rates is shown below:
|Membership Category||Annual Subscription||Transfer Fee||Direct Entry Fee|
|GradICI – year 5, …||€80.00||–||–|
|GradICI – year 1,2,3,4||€60.00||–||€25.00|
|GradICI – year 1,2,3,4 Postgrad research student *||€25.00||–||–|
|Associate Member – year 4, …||€40.00||–||–|
|Associate Member – year 1,2,3||€20.00||–||–|
All application forms must be accompanied by certificates of qualifications
Associate Member Grade
All Other Grades
Transfer to Fellowship